As I was going through some papers I ran across a list of things that we want to do with our yard. When we made the list we included things that we wanted to have done this year and things that we figured would probably happen some other year. It was interesting to see what we have done. Just for fun I'm going to share the list.
*The Strawberry Bed- This one is a work in progress. The spot we chose for a strawberry bed seems to need quite a few soil amendments. It has a tendency to dry out very quickly. This year we mulched around the strawberries, but I think we need more. Still, we do have a few plants that are hanging on.
*Move the Water Line- Not happening this year. We would need to find time, then a trencher, and make sure we have enough pipe. Maybe next year.
*Build a fence around the garden- We have started this one. The front and one side have pallets up. Another side has the pallets laying down and we need to stand them up. It's a time thing, but hopefully we can get the fence up before the ground freezes.
*Arbor gate into garden- Well, the posts are in the ground and the frame is established, but then I wasn't feeling good so progress stalled. It's going to look so cool when it's done, though.
*Raspberries- Not really sure what I meant by this, but we do have a few plants still alive and we actually got berries from them this year, so I'm counting this as a success!
*Flowers by Well Head- I really wanted to plant a little flower bed, and I did. I got the flowers in late so they haven't really spread like I want them to yet, but I'm sure by the end of the summer they will be beautiful.
*Gooseberry bushes- These are still in pots and not planted yet.
*Spray trees- I think we did this once, but not again like we should have. We will see how the crop looks in the fall.
*Portable Fencing- I'm pretty sure we meant to get this for some future animal so that they could eat down the grass in the orchard and fields, but when we got the sheep this became a priority. Did we do this.....yes....sorta. We figured something out and we've tweaked it a bit, but it's working.
*Permanent Fencing- I know this wasn't a priority in March or whenever we made this list, but it has become one now. Thanks to some little miracles it should be a reality just as soon as Robert gets some time to actually work on the fence. We got some free second hand fence, plus we had some poles and logs and we have a lead on some railroad ties for corner posts, along with t-posts. Hopefully this goal is realized sooner than later.
*Livestock Shed- This has also become a priority to get done this year, but it will probably wait a few more months. We just need to make sure it's ready by the time the weather gets bad. We have materials for it, right now we just don't have time.
*Trellis between garden boxes- We made something work this year. I had peas growing up it and now I have cucumbers growing up it. We took an old gate and used it. However, that gate will most likely go on our permanent livestock fencing and I will have to come up with something else next year.
*Fruit Cellar- Didn't happen this year.
*Play House- Not happening this year either.
*Paneling around red shed- I'm pretty sure this one changed. I don't think we are going to do what we first thought.
*Irrigation for Orchard- This one is still out there for some future time.
I think life is all about moving forward. Sometimes I get so bogged down by where I'm not that I've forgotten how far I've come. I was happy to see how many of these we either finished, or at least started. Time has been the biggest thing. Robert has been busy at work, which is good, and then we are usually busy on weekends too, and that leaves little time for everything else. Add to the mix all the days and weeks that I was sick and couldn't help much it makes this list seem even better. The year's not over yet, I wonder what else we will finish?
No comments:
Post a Comment