I've got a lot of catching up to do. In fact, I couldn't remember most of what has gone on if I tried, but I will give you the highlights.
First off, the sheep. They are doing good. We sold some ewe lambs to some very nice people who came all the way up from Utah to get them. We will soon be bringing a ram and a donkey home just as soon as Robert has time and a truck and trailer to haul them in. Why a donkey, you may ask? Well, donkey's make good guard animals against coyotes and other stray dogs and they don't cost a lot to feed. Those are the two main reasons. You can also ride a donkey, they aren't as skittish as horses and you can use them as pack animals. Robert is the scoutmaster here so he will be doing a lot of camping and hiking and a trained donkey could come in handy. Unfortunately this one isn't trained yet, but we can work on that.
On our list of things to do this summer was paint the chicken coop. Robert and the kids finally got around to doing that last Saturday. We've had the paint for a while, just not the time. Robert took some pictures, but unfortunately they are on his phone and the other computer. The kids had a really good time and Rachel got almost as much paint on her as she did on the coop, I think. The first coat of paint was a cream color, but Robert thought two coats would be better, and we had two cans of paint, only the second can was a light lime green. You can tell the spots that did not get a second coat. Still, it's done.
We have quite a few chickens still. Robert butchered all of the roosters but two. I think he is going to butcher them also, especially since one of them has decided that he doesn't like Michael and Micheal is the one in charge of gather eggs. We are currently getting between 3 and 5 eggs a day. I'm thinking more of the hens will be laying soon. We might have to start selling eggs once they do, or sell the hens. We will see.
My life is getting pretty busy. I received a new calling at church. I was called to be the Secretary in the Stake Relief Society. I've never worked in a Stake calling before so this is new to me. I'm joining an existing presidency so I need to play a little catch up on things they've already discussed, but we will get there.
Now, a funny, or not so funny story. The other day I was making some salsa to can. I had the salsa on the stove and I went to put the pot of water for the water bath on to boil. Well, I failed to notice the hot pad sticking to the bottom of the pot. After a few minutes I could smell something really awful. At first I thought my salsa was burning, until I saw the weird fumes coming out from under the pot of water. As I moved it I discovered the charred hot pad. Man oh man did it stink! I opened all the doors and windows, sent the kids outside, and then decided that wasn't far enough away and we went next door to visit my Father-in-law. Of course all of the flies took the open doors and windows as their invitation to come inside. The next morning when I woke up I discovered how many there really were in my house. It was AWFUL! There were flies everywhere. I would freak out at mealtimes trying to keep them off the food. So, when Robert got home he went and got some spray from his dad and sprayed the house. Once again we went next door and I fixed dinner over there. I will gladly sweep and vacuum up dead flies as long as I know they aren't going to land in my food. So, note to self, always make sure there is nothing stuck to the bottom of pots and pans before putting them on the stove. Also, plastic stinks really bad when it melts.
No comments:
Post a Comment