Monday, May 12, 2014

Rachel's Stitches

Our life is certainly anything but dull around here.  Also, it seems like craziness goes in spurts.  The day after we found out my grandma had passed away Rachel cut her foot.  I was just waking up from a nap with I heard Rachel scream and come hopping into my room.  At first I thought she had stubbed her toe, she is a bit dramatic, and I wasn't quite awake yet.  Finally I understood that there was blood involved so I glanced down and yes, yes there was.  I had Taylor grab me a couple diaper wipes and I looked to see how deep the cut was.  I almost went into shock as I looked at it and realized it probably needed stitches.  Now, I don't know much about cuts, but I knew this wasn't a scratch.  I panicked a little and called Robert, who was in Shoshone.  I told him the situation and told me to call my father-in-law who lived just around the corner, and he would meet us somewhere.  I got ahold of David and he took me into town where we met Robert.  Rachel was still wailing and telling us her foot hurt.  We headed off to the emergency room.  Half-way there Rachel quit screaming and started playing I-spy with us.  I began to second guess myself if what I saw was really going to need stitches.  The bleeding had just about stopped and she seemed ok, but better safe than sorry.

We got her all checked in and then they took the wipes off to look at the cut.  Both Robert's and the Doctor's eyes widened when they saw her foot so I knew I did right.  Somehow a food processor blade got on the floor, still not sure how that happened, and she stepped on it.  It cut through the skin and the fat layer, but missed the muscle, bone, and tendons in her foot.  That was good because then she didn't need antibiotics and only one layer of stitches.  We put some cartoons on for her and she did really well getting the stitches.  The part that hurt the most was the shot to numb her foot, and the last stitch wasn't completely numb so she felt that one also.  It was a little rough for a couple days trying to get her to take it easy and let her foot heal, then she was sad that she couldn't spend a lot of time in the water when we were in California, but after we got back she got the stitches out and we are back to normal.  It was so cute watching her hop around on one foot, though.  It didn't slow her down very much at all.


No comments: