Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pears and a Fun Visit

This has been a very exciting week for us. We only had 3 days of school, a birthday, and a visit from some of our favorite people.

Something I made a few years ago and really loved is these cute little taco bowls. I use corn tortillas so they are kinda little, but they are fun. The kids had fun putting what they wanted in their little bowls.

Thursday we had no school, and it was Robert's birthday. The kids and I worked on straightening up the house and making stuff for daddy's birthday. I made prime rib for the first time and it turned out really good! The kids wanted to make him Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake bars. They turned out super yummy! We had some family over for dinner and Robert said it was a good birthday. He got a Simpson's Clue game from his mom. Robert likes the Simpson's but I'm not too keen on them.

Early Friday morning found us all in the car headed to my brother, Matt's house to see some special people. My sister Katrina and her family were passing through on their way to a funeral. We all gathered for breakfast and some Guitar Hero. Lindsey had a lot of fun rocking out.


Aunt Katrina helped some of the younger kids. We don't have any kind of xbox or wii at our house, only the computer so my kids aren't really used to playing games. They get to once in a while at their aunt and uncles houses, but that's it. They had a lot of fun.
Michael and Jonathan love getting together. Michael told me that Jonathan gives really good hugs. He really does give good hugs.

I did a little bit of sewing this week. I really like skirts, but I've realized that I have no casual skirts, only dressy ones. In an effort to use what I have, I experimented and turned a pair of pants into a skirt. I first tried it with one of Lindsey's pairs of pants. They had patches on the knees and I was either going to have to re-patch them or cut them into shorts, but instead turned them into a really cute skirt. I figured that if it worked on hers then I would try it on a pair of mine. These pants had gotten a hole in them and I couldn't wear them as pants anymore, but they make a really nice skirt. I love it.
I also took a t-shirt of Lindsey's and made it into a dress, but I didn't get any pictures of that. It was nice to spend some time at my sewing machine this week.

Saturday morning found me helping out at a 5k race. I was in charge of handing out water to runners part way through the race. It was for a good cause, and I would much rather have been helping out with the water than actually running the race.

In the evening, we went out and picked pears and some apples. We have also been doing quite a bit of canning this week. Robert has been juicing the pears and canning the juice. The kids love going out and picking the pears. The tree is huge and we have to use a ladder to get most of the pears.


Using the wagon to carry the pears is a lot easier than carrying them ourselves.
We also canned some corn. Normally we freeze the corn, but our freezer is kinda full, so we thought we would try canning it. I guess we will see how it tastes later. I'll tell you one thing, though, freezing it is a whole lot easier.

2 comments:

Katrina Wilson said...

It was so much fun seeing everyone. The kids had lots of fun with Guitar Hero! And I LOVE that skirt. It turned out super cute.

Kerry said...

Holy cow woman-really, really busy!

I'm glad you got to see family-for a funeral..but still you got to see them-that's wonderful!

I can't believe how grown up your kids are, time just flies on by! I don't know how you can think about canning with 4 kids..I envy that.