Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Halloween

Next year we are skipping Halloween.  Okay, maybe not quite skipping all of it, but we are going to be celebrating it differently.  Here's some history, 3 years ago half of my kids were sick and couldn't go trick-or-treating.  2 years ago half of my kids were sick and stayed home again.  Last year Taylor missed her party at school, but was better the next day for trick or treating, but unfortunately Lindsey was not and had to stay home.  This year nobody was sick, but we still didn't have a lot of fun. 

Robert got a call for a road crossing that needed cleared up ASAP, so I decided that we would take him to pick up his truck in Twin.  While we were there we could go out to dinner, I had a coupon for kids to eat free at Chili's, and then maybe to trick-or-treating with my sister who was in town.  It sounded like a good plan.  We got to the restaurant about 5:30 thinking we could eat and still have some daylight to go out for candy.  That didn't end up happening.  My sister came to dinner with us, along with a friend and her kids.  We had 9 kids and 4 adults and we didn't get out of the restaurant until over 2 hours later.  Our meals took over an hour to arrive and when they did, most of them were cold.  Needless to say, out of all of us, we only paid for 2 meal for the whole table.  It was horrible service, and maybe they were having a bad night, but there was no apology from the server or anything.  I don't think I've had such a negative experience ever. 

So, by the time we got out, it was already getting dark.  We did go to a fairly well lit neighborhood, but this is  Idaho and it is cold in October, and more so after the sun goes down.  We went to up and down one street for a couple of blocks and then the kids were really getting cold, and tired, and we headed home.  I've talked about staying home before, I really don't like all the candy.  Well, on the way to the van Taylor said next year we should just have a party at home, we can still dress up, but we will stay warm.  You know what, I think that is a great idea.  Next year we will have a party at home.  We will bake some goodies, dress up and play games or something, and stay warm.

No comments: