Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's starting to look like winter

Is it really December already?  We had a late spring, later summer, and late winter.  This past week has been pretty fun, though.  Robert only had to work on Tuesday and Wednesday so we got to see quite a bit of him this week.  I know he was glad for the opportunity to get some stuff done around the yard before the winter really sets in.  He set up a board along one side of our chicken run to maybe block some of the wind and snow from blowing in there this winter.  He also set up our snow fences.  We've been laughing about our snow fences.  I will need to get out the camera and take a picture of them, but they are mostly made from old pallets.  Robert pounded some t-posts into the ground and then set the pallets over them.  I'm not sure if that makes us "hickified" or "environmentally green".  Robert also sawed up some old branches that we got out of the orchard to add to our firewood for the winter.  He brought the tractor down and filled in a hole and moved a shed.  He has been very busy around here.

My sister came and stayed a few days with us while my parent's house is getting some work done on it.  She surprised me one day while I was out visiting teaching by getting the kids to do a bunch of cleaning and then making cookies.  It was nice having an extra person around when I need to run errands and stuff.

The girls are doing really well with their piano lessons.  It has been such a joy to hear them playing during the day.  Taylor was told she was going to need to get a more advanced book of Christmas songs since she can easily play all the ones that she was given.  I can tell that they are really learning when we sing songs and they are following along better.  I love it!

Saturday I got to go to Bountiful Baskets.  It is one of the highlights of my week, I think.  I have made some really good friends there and I love getting together with them and catching up.  I have one friend who says that it's her social hour (or two) for the week.

Today church was shortened.  It seems there was some kind of problem with the heaters at the church so the building, especially the chapel, was really cold!  So, they shortened sacrament meeting and then canceled the rest of the meetings.  Hopefully it will be warm on Thursday when we have scouts there.  Tonight we get to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional and I look forward to this broadcast all year!

No comments: