I'm probably doing these all out of order, but that's what I get for waiting so long. 4th of July found us in Huntsville, Ut again. It's my kids favorite holiday and one we look forward to all Summer long. This year brought some interesting experiences with it. The first night we were there is always a fun night to look forward to. The neighbors will put a movie on a screen outside and we have a great view. After their movie they lit off some fireworks. Well, we also had brought our two little dogs who had been on leashes all day. As the kids hurried to put the dogs in their crate, Kitty, Kitty got loose and ran off. I was putting Elizabeth to bed so Robert and the kids went out looking for him. Do you know what it's like to ask people if they have seen a small chihuahua running around who answers to the name Kitty, Kitty? The girls all got together and said a prayer to help find him. This story has a happy ending. Somehow the dog found his way into one of the family minivans and he was safe in there. I was in tears when I heard that the girls also kneeled down and said a prayer of thanks after he was found.
Setting up the tents just keeps getting more interesting every year. I guess the older girls all think that they are big now and want a tent to themselves. Michael and his boy cousins keep talking about sharing a tent, but they haven't yet. I'm sure pretty soon we won't need a big tent, just a couple medium to small size ones since the kids will all want to share with their cousins and Robert and I will just have the littlest kids in with us.
The next day found us sitting on straw bales in the parade. We did manage to make our candy go a little farther this year than we did last time we were in the parade. After we finished the parade route most of us got off to see the end of the other floats. Many of the other floats either had more candy, or they did a better job of rationing it out because they had some to throw at us at the end of the parade. After all the floats went by we started gathering up the kids to take them back to the house and realized we couldn't find Rachel. She had gone chasing some candy and got a little far. Robert found her at the Lost and Found in the park. That was one of the most scary moments of my life. I am thankful for good people. After losing two members of the family we were pretty strict about knowing where our kids were at all times.
Later that day we went to a Patriotic Program where Taylor received the honor of having an essay she wrote be awarded first place in their contest, and she read it aloud to the audience. She did such a great job. She knew her paper and she was able to stand tall, read it clearly, and look at the audience. I was so proud of her. As her award, she got a certificate, a large candy bar, and a check for $100. I think she is hoping they have the same writing contest again next year.
When we did get back to the house the kids had fun playing in the little pool that was there. The kept running and jumping/sliding in, but they were splashing so much water out that we had to clean it out and refill it, so then they had to stop, and just play in the pool.
After watching the fireworks that night the glowsticks were brought out. This year I think there were over 400 pieces for the kids to divide and share. They certainly came up with some creative uses.
Taylor only wanted yellow ones so she traded for all she could. She made a belt with hers along with earrings and necklace.
The kids took some and played jump rope with them.
Elizabeth liked hers on her ankles.
It's always sad at the end of the celebration to say good-bye and go home, but we always have a good time and make lots of good family memories.







No comments:
Post a Comment