Friday, August 29, 2014

Taylor's 4th of July essay


The following is the essay that Taylor submitted for the 4th of July essay contest that she won.

There are many reasons to be proud to be an American.  I am going to talk about how I'm proud of my heritage, our right to elect our officers, and our right to choose our education.

I am proud of my American heritage.  Many generations in my family have lived in America.  My ancestors helped settle this country.  They came to America for many different reasons.  Some gave up everything to come to this country.  Some of my ancestors fought with the patriots to win our freedom in the American Revolution.  They knew that they could die, but believed that freedom was worth it.  Many of my ancestors came to Utah and Idaho with the pioneers.  The journey was hard, but they didn't give up because they kenw it was worth it.  I am proud that my family can think like that.

I am proud of our right to elect our government officials.  We hold elections for many different things and offices including- The President, our state Governors, town Mayors, and many other leaders.  Being able to vote for government officials is something that in many other countries people cannot do.

I am proud of our right to choose our education.  We can choose where we want to go to school at and what we want to study there.  There are different schools for different things, we can choose which school we want to attend.  I enjoy this freedom and try to use it right.  I am proud of this and I am happy to be able to choose my education so I can get the job I want.

There are many more reasons to be proud of America.  I just gave the most important to me.  Being an American is a great thing, and being one is one thing that I am truly proud of.

No comments: