Sunday, October 28, 2012

A few of our Goings On

Life has been super busy for us lately and we've had a lot going on.  I will see how much of it I can remember.  To start off with, the kids and I have continued to go to the Care Center every week.  When we first started going I really didn't know what to expect.  I wasn't sure how the kids would react, but I hoped that they would learn to be comfortable with elderly people and that they would be able to brighten someones day.  Well, we've been going for quite a few months now, I forget how many, and the kids have gotten to know the names of quite a few of the residents.  They are becoming less shy around them.  I have one that is still hesitant to talk to most of them, but she knows who they are.  A lot of the times the kids will sit and sing, or play around a little.  I think as long as they aren't too rambunctious then they are mostly thought of as cute.  However, my girls have really bonded with one of the residents lately.  Her name is Katie.  The girls will usually sit together at a table to sing and Katie will always come and sit with them, or if Katie gets there before us, they go and sit with her.  The enjoy visiting with Katie and she likes visiting with them.  A few things that we've observed is that Katie loves necklaces.  She always has some kind of beads on.  It's usually those mardi gras type beads, but they always match her outfit.  She also likes hats.  A few weeks ago she gave all 3 of the girls some beads.  It was so sweet of her.  Well, her birthday was last week and the girls want to give her a present, so they are going to get out some of my beads and make her necklaces.  I think I will also make a hat for her.  I love that my kids have made friends at the care center.

Our sheep are keeping us busy.  They kept finding ways out of the pasture that we fenced in.  A neighbor said that we could have some of his old fencing that was just rolled up in bundles so Robert and his dad went and picked it up and have been reinforcing the fences with this new to us fencing.  Hopefully we have got it strong enough  now that they won't get out.  They are sneaky animals, though.  We did lose one ram lamb and we aren't sure why.  We wonder if he didn't maybe eat something toxic one of the times he got out.  Or, maybe he got a brain injury by head butting another ram, who knows?  We still haven't gotten our donkey, yet, though.  Robert went over to help out at the farm that we are getting the donkey from and Taylor went with him.  She made good friends with the donkey, so it should be an easier transition for her to come here.  She sure is a sweet and gentle animal.  Taylor is discovering that she is getting pretty good with animals.  The sheep are less frightened of her than of some other people, she made quick friends with a dog that is usually really nervous around people, and then the donkey took right to her.  She says she wants to go to Pharmacy school when she grows up, but I could see her changing her mind to work with animals.

We are starting to get used to Robert doing scout stuff.  The kids are accepting that he will have scouts on Wednesday nights.  He went on the first overnight camp out a few weeks ago.  The kids weren't too happy that they couldn't go with him. 

I've been really busy with my new Relief Society calling.  We had Auxillary training, then we had a 2 day event that we were in charge of feeding people at up in Sun Valley.  We are also in charge of food for the brethren on Saturday between meetings for Stake Conference.  In addition, we need to get some things planned out for next year.  It looks like we will be busy for the next couple of weeks, also.  I think our goal is to have things organized before Thanksgiving so that we can take a break for the holidays, and then I will be taking a break to take care of me and baby.  I have really loved this new calling, though.  It has been a lot of fun to get to know some of the other women that I'm working with.  I get tired a little sooner right now, but I have felt good for the most part so that I've been able to help out and I'm glad.

I am now at every 2 weeks appointments with my midwife.  Things are looking good.  At my last appointment Michael and Rachel came in and got to listen to the baby's heartbeat with me.  Michael thought it sounded like a horse.  Not really sure about that, but that's what he said.  They both thought it was pretty neat, though.  I feel like this pregnancy has really flown by and I'm hoping that being busy with the holidays will make it seem to keep going by fast.  After my last post I've been offered a pack-n-play, a nursing cover, and boy clothes if we have a boy.  I have also gotten 2 diaper covers to start my stash.  I should be getting a car seat here soon.  We are starting to get ready.  I had someone ask if I had a theme or anything for this baby.  You know, like a cartoon that I was basing thing on, or a color scheme or anything.  Nope, I don't.  I'm not very good at decorating and since we don't watch a lot of t.v. I can't really pick a cartoon or anything.  Besides, I've been so used to hand-me-downs that so much of what I have is quite eclectic.  I did decide that if I could pick something for me, though, it would probably be black and white with bright splashes of color.  I say that, but then again, I really love lace and pastels.  Black and white is what I keep going back to, though.

I know there's more that has been going on, and lots of things I've missed, but I can't remember them right now.  Hopefully I will post again before much more time has gone by and then I will remember better.

2 comments:

*ehu. said...

I feel like our lives are so completely different from each others, but I'm still so grateful that we're friends.

rneweyfamily said...

I know what you mean! Seriously, I never though I would end up here living in the country with sheep and chickens, but I love it. Still, I miss the city and San Diego, and the food. I can't wait to take my family down there and show them all of the things that you and my other friends taught me to love.