Sunday, June 1, 2008
Food Storage
I gave a lesson today on self-reliance. In studying for my lesson, there were many aspects of self-reliance that I feel fairly comfortable with. However, the one area that I am the least prepared and knowledgeable in is our food storage. I really don't have a plan, I don't know what to get, or how to get it and use it. I want something that says "do this now and use it then". However, I know that my tastes and my families tastes make using a generic plan not such a good idea. I have seen some plans and when I look at what is in them, some of the food we would eat, some of it, not so much. I knew one family that grouped their food storage my menu. They organized a section for one type of meal, another section for a different meal, and so forth. Others have had lists of what is in their storage and when they take something out they write it down and purchase another to put in it's place. Some people just buy extra of a few things at a time and add up their storage that way, others save or use tax returns to make a bulk purchase and then fill in the rest a little at a time. Tell me, what has worked for you? How have you determined what you put in your storage and how much? What is the best way to add to and keep track, especially for someone who has a hard time with such things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Food storage can be hard, but our ward is so dedicated to it, we get great tips all the time. For us we do both the slow buy a little at a time and the big, fill our whole van with cans kind of thing. We plan for the case lot sales about twice a year and budget big for that, then we fill in the holes through out hte year when ever we find things on sale. Right now, we're concentrating on wheat and rice because of the shortage on it, but we still have to remeber to stop at Costco and grab a couple packages of t.p. and paper towels and soap, all that extra stuff we need because we are eating. the best I've found is the book "Food Storage for Idiots" from deseret book. It's very realistic and it has a way to store everything, including how to can, how to freeze, how to dry, etc. anything you might grow or buy. It's just a lot of good advice. We're not really organized, no lists (tried, didn't work for us) or menus, we just keep an eye on the shelves and when we're getting low we fill it, with enough to last for a long time. And don't be intimidated by a wheat grinder! I was, and now I use ours at least once a week, and by putting half or more fresh ground wheat in the recipes, it's so much more healthy. This is getting really long, so I'll stop. Good luck! =)DeeAnna
Post a Comment