So, I looked outside today to see the chickens in my garden congregated around my broccoli plants. The have already eaten all of my cauliflower, so I wasn't too keen on having them in there eating my broccoli. Looks like I was a little too late. On the other hand, they have been good about whittling down our grasshopper population. Sometime this week, though, they are going to be butchered, plucked, and put into the freezer. Having chickens has been quite the experience for me. I really didn't like them at first. They were really ugly when they were getting their feathers and they freaked me out when they would all gather around when you went to water and feed them. As they got bigger they weren't quite so bad, though. I know we will get chickens again and maybe someday I will learn to even like them, as long as we have a better fence around the garden and they stay out.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Chickens, Love'em or Hate'em?
So, I looked outside today to see the chickens in my garden congregated around my broccoli plants. The have already eaten all of my cauliflower, so I wasn't too keen on having them in there eating my broccoli. Looks like I was a little too late. On the other hand, they have been good about whittling down our grasshopper population. Sometime this week, though, they are going to be butchered, plucked, and put into the freezer. Having chickens has been quite the experience for me. I really didn't like them at first. They were really ugly when they were getting their feathers and they freaked me out when they would all gather around when you went to water and feed them. As they got bigger they weren't quite so bad, though. I know we will get chickens again and maybe someday I will learn to even like them, as long as we have a better fence around the garden and they stay out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The pleasures of raising chickens eh? Well, at least your grasshoppers have been thinned out a bit!
Post a Comment