Sunday, September 27, 2009

Harvest Time

Life has been pretty busy around here lately. We have been freezing a lot of corn. Hopefully it should last us through the winter. My garden got in late and so it is all ripening late, too. We have a lot of peppers; bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, anaheim peppers and banana peppers. Also an interesting plant called a peter pepper. I have harvested a couple of really nice looking eggplants. So now I know that they will grow here. My tomatoes all bloomed late and so I don't know if I will actually get any fruit off of them since it's supposed to get really cold this week.

We have also been busy picking apples and pears. Robert has been juicing them and we are going to try our hand at making apple butter. The kids love the fresh apple and pear juice. It also makes pretty good syrup. Our harvest wasn't as plentiful as we hoped, we didn't get it sprayed when we should have. Next year it will be better, though.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

that's still nice that you have fruits and vegetables-to have enough corn for the winter-that's awesome!

DeeAnna said...

I love your family picture at the top! That's great! We're hopefully going to get ours soon, too.

Dena said...

Ah, I remember harvest time while I was growing up! It was the best time of year. I loved husking and freezing corn. That was my favorite!