Sunday, August 8, 2010

Swimming Lessons

We just got done with swimming lessons and I am so glad! It was a really fun time and the kids learned a lot, but it took a lot out of our day and our routines got all messed up. I was only going to put the older two in because I knew Michael couldn't touch and I wasn't sure how that would go over with him and Rachel being so little. Plus, I didn't know if I could help or not. Well, there ended up being only 4 kids in the class after 2 days, because many of them got bumped up, so I asked if I could add Michael and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Michael held onto the edge, or I did end up getting in with him and holding him a couple of times. Rachel was in one arm and Michael the other. I don't know that Michael really enjoyed his swimming lessons.


He really loved being in the water and there were a couple of days he had a lot of fun, but he did not like going under the water, at all!

Lindsey came a long way in her lessons. At first she didn't want to go underwater, but after about two days that was no longer a problem for her. She was bobbing in the water like a pro! She was a little nervous when her instructor would let go and let her float by herself for a few seconds, but she did really good. One thing she would not do is go off the diving board. In the last few days she would jump off the side in the deep end, though.

All of the kids were in Level one, but Taylor did really good and her instructor decided to do a little more with her and tested her as a Level 2. She didn't pass Level 2, but she had a lot of fun. One of Taylor's favorite things to do is float on her back.


During the first week of lessons she was floating for almost a minute by herself. By the end of lessons it was nothing for her to float for a minute and a half. She was so funny when she would lay back though. She would fling herself onto her back, go under the water, and then float back up. The thing that she needed to work on was getting her arms out of the water on her front crawl. She had the motions down, but needed to work on her technique. Taylor also loved the diving board. She would jump off the board onto the lifeguards' tube. Rachel even got to go off the diving board. We were on the side watching and the instructor asked if Rachel wanted to go off, so I walked her out there and I thought she was going to just go diving right off!


Luckily I had hold of her hands and just lowered her down. She thought that was pretty neat and loved being in the water with the big kids.

It was a lot of fun while it lasted and I'm really glad we did it. We will probably do it again next year too, but for now, I'm really glad to be getting back to my house and my laundry and my kitchen. They have all really missed me :)

No comments: