Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas #1

It feels like we had a lot of Christmas celebration going on.  For our first Christmas, we went to Carey to my brother’s house on Christmas Eve.  The kids and some really big kids played outside sledding and building a snowman.December 2010 065   We had some pretty big storms that week and so there was plenty of snow to pile up for sledding hills.  My brother and used his snow blower to make a large pile next to a platform that was in his backyard.  It worked out perfect for the kids.  Not too big of a hill, just outside the house and still lots of fun.December 2010 066 It is the first time that Rachel really got to play in the snow.  She had a lot of fun, but we forgot her snow boots, so she was wearing her dress shoes and didn’t stay out too long.  She stayed out longer than I thought she would, though.  Even Robert got in on the sledding.  After they were done sleddingDecember 2010 104 they built a snowman.  My brother had a wooden kit to put the face and buttons on their snowman.December 2010 115 December 2010 118

IMG00238-20101224-1145Following all of the fun we had a super yummy dinner and then a surprise early visit from Santa Clause.  Unfortunately my brother was “out feeding his chickens” at that time behind the house and totally missed the visit.  It was too bad, too, because his kids were terrified of Santa. Finally, his son was okay with this bearded stranger, but his daughter was kept as far away from Santa as possible for the group picture. 

IMG00257-20101224-1632 We were not coming to Carey the next day, so all of the presents from siblings were given out along with presents from Grandma and Grandpa.  Rachel got a new baby doll and a stroller.  She promptly put the doll in the stroller and took it for a walk all over the house.  The three older kids plus Jonathan all got puzzles that we had to find pieces for before we left.  Michael and Jonathan got their puzzles mixed together, that was fun.  My mom opened one of her presents, a songbook of Christmas songs, so we implored her to try it out.  We took it to the piano and went through the book page by page having her play our favorites while we sang along.  That is one of my favorite parts of Christmas, singing while Mom plays the piano.  Hopefully I will get good enough that my kids can sing with me someday.

Christmas was day was pretty laid back for us.  We opened some presents and then went around the corner to Grandma and Grandpa Newey’s house.IMG00265-20101225-1712 

Michael was completely worn out!

December 2010 122December 2010 123 December 2010 124

Taylor was a little upset that I didn’t get them what I had joked I would, though.  I did not give them empty boxes.  I had told them I would give them empty boxes and at first they were not so happy, but then I explained all the things they could do with a box and they got really excited!  I dashed their dreams by not giving them empty boxes.

No comments: