Another aspect of rural living that I am needing to adjust to is the fact that the store is so far away. There is a small store in town and I can get my essentials if I need to. They are a little more costly, but then when you factor in gas money, it's not too bad. However, I really need to start planning my meals better, watching my pantry and making sure that I don't run out of anything. If I do, I could be in trouble. It is a long walk to the store if I should get a flat tire or something. Like this winter when I got snowed in. I could not get out and I
Of course, all of this is saving us some money. I no longer have the ability to run to Little Ceasars for pizza or impulse buy when I am bored. I can't run to the store for a loaf of french bread and come back with ice cream and cookies too. I just need to be a little more disciplined. Does anyone have any suggestions of what has worked for them?
1 comment:
I've gone through it, too! When we were in Rough Rock, it could be really hard, if we forgot something on one of our monthly trips, we'd have to make due. I learned alot about making things from scratch, and it really isn't too hard if you just do it. I've tried to plan meals a month a head of time (Katie Tree has a good system), but I'm not organized enough or I don't feel like making that meal when I get to the day...so we just have a good food storage, I've done alot of substituting and rearranging recipes. We've got a book, put out by Deseret Book, called "Food Storage for the Clueless" that has a ton of good ideas for using your food storage, including a recipe for powdered sugar! I've learned to make more stuff from scratch, like pizza dough and sauce. Also, there's a great web site called allrecipes.com, and it has thousands of recipes with variations that you can use to get rid of the stuff you do have in your fridge. So hopefully that gave you a few ideas! Hey, if I can live two hours from the nearest Walmart and survive I think any one can. See ya! DeeAnna
Post a Comment