My Dad grew up celebrating Memorial Day with his family, visiting graves and having a picnic at a park afterwards. For him it has a lot of positive memories and he wants to share that with his family. So, for the last couple of years he has a big Sunday dinner, big breakfast Monday, visit graves at 2 different cemeteries to clean them up and decorate with flowers, then home for a bbq. Everyone is invited and you come for what you can. We went to dinner Sunday and left the girls for a sleep-over and grandma and grandpa's. Monday we came back for breakfast, which included my youngest sister and her boyfriend and his mom. Then, on our way to visit my grandparents grave, Taylor started crying and told us she couldn't stop. I went back to sit by her and she told me she wanted to cuddle, so I put my arm around her as best I could. I noticed that she felt warm and decided when we got to town we would get her some tylenol. Probably about 5-10 minutes later she threw up all over herself and me. I found a cup close by and that helped a little, but not enough. We decided to go back home, so I didn't get to visit with the family. They even ran into one of my cousins at one of the cemeteries. Oh well.
At home, we put Taylor to bed and she only threw up once more. Robert had planned to use his new grill and do a rotisserie chicken, so that is what he did, even though it was raining outside. Of course, the dog had to partially unplug the rotisserie so we couldn't tell until we opened the grill, so half of it was well done. Still, it tasted really good. Robert grills winter, spring, summer, fall, no matter the weather. I think he is even planning an awning or something to put the grill under to keep rain and snow off it.
So, this Memorial Day did not turn out as planned, but there is always next year. My children love to hear stories of their ancestors and it is nice to be able to visit their resting places and let the children know that these were real people, not just stories in a book or memory. I hope that they can draw strength from the examples of our family members.
2 comments:
What a great tradition. I'm sorry Taylor is sick. It must be starting to go around...Luke's been running a fever for a couple days...I hope Taylor feels better soon. Tell Robert he needs to invite us over for a b-que! ;) He sounds like a diehard! How fun!
I like the new back ground, and I love your Memorial day traditions, Are you still having a party tonight with sick kids??? I hope so!
Post a Comment