Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spring is Coming, I just Know It!

We have more chickens! We had already planned on getting some meat birds and one or two more layers, but this way we just got a bunch of meat birds and like 8 layers. We got some Rhode Island Reds, some White Leghorns, and then we also got some Barred Rock and some Black Sexlink. The Barred Rock and the Black Sexlink both look a lot the same right now and we got my brother some also, so I'm not really sure which ones we passed along to him, and which ones we still have. They are super cute right now, all fluffy. Soon, their feathers will be coming in and I don't think they will look so cute until they get all their feathers. Robert got a nice little nesting box all ready for them with the heat lamp so they are doing pretty good right now. In a few weeks they will be ready to go outside in the newly re-inforced chicken run and coop.
As I was outside today enjoying the sunshine I decided to check and see if the asparagus was coming up yet or not. Guess what, it was! So, when Taylor got home from school (Lindsey stayed home with a sore ear), we all went out and picked some. There wasn't a lot yet, and most of it was still pretty little, but we got enough for dinner tonight.

I also got some of my seedlings transplanted into bigger containers. I have a bunch more that I need to do also, but in my world, slow and steady is how I go. If I just do a little bit each day then eventually it will all get done, right? I am getting really excited for my garden this year. I have tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and tomatilloes started along with some flowers. I also planted some radishes, beets and peas in the garden so far. I still have the cucumbers, squash, cabbage, lettuce and spinach to go. Right now Robert is getting the rows ready for me to put potatoes and onions in. Each year our garden gets a little bit better as I get another year's experience behind me. I do raised beds for a lot of it, I'll have to take some pictures and post them. I love my raised square foot garden beds!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

We should be neighbors! I want chickens too! and tonight I am making grilled asparagus with pesto.