Sunday, January 15, 2012

Where's the Snow?

I can't believe it is January.  We have no snow on the ground, I can see my dead, brown grass.  It's cold outside, but this is unlike any January I can remember.  I hope that we get some snow soon.  I have realized living out here that snow is good for the farmers, and I know a lot of farmers.  Snow fills up the reservoir and allows us to water not only our fields, but our stock as well.  I would rather have the snow in the winter to melt in the spring, than to be flooded out by all of the rain that we would need to make up for lack of snow.

That being said, this past week the kids have started to build a clubhouse outside.  They have found many of the old boards that are around our places, and using small nails and hammers are learning to build.  This is what they do for recess.  It should be fun for them this summer to have a place to play outside.

Robert's background check came back and he was able to get his license to sell insurance.  He was able to go and watch a few visits this past week, and he practiced on my sister and brother-in-law.  As part of his training, he is supposed to have 20 people fill out a review of him presenting insurance options, or something like that.  Basically, he is going to practice on people, with the understanding that if they do want insurance, he can help them get it, but what he is really wanting is the experience of practicing on them.  He has a couple of appointments booked for this next week.  I am so proud of him and all of the work he is doing for our family.

This week the girls had to take the Idaho Reading Indicator (IRI) test.  They both did amazing.  Both of them enjoy reading and their scores showed that.  I am so amazed at what happens once a child realizes the power and wonder of books.  Lindsey used to call Taylor "Miss Nose in a Book", well, the other day I was trying to get Lindsey's attention, and guess who had her nose in a book?  Lindsey!  Michael has been practicing his letters and I know it won't be long before he is wanting to learn to read.

Robert and I were able to go on a date this week.  We went to a dinner put on for Bountiful Basket site coordinators.  We were able to meet one of the founders of Bountiful Baskets and to ask her questions and also meet other site coordinators from other towns.  It was a really fun evening.

We still have our little dog and puppies.  It is so funny to watch the three puppies attack and play with their mommy.  The kids are still loving taking care of them and so far they don't even really mind cleaning up their messes.  I am very grateful for that!  Their owners are getting better from their accident, but we still aren't sure how much longer these little ones will be with us.  All I know is that my kids are going to enjoy it as long as they can.

Not too much else has gone on this past week.  We are getting ready to have some fun this coming week, though.  We get to have some friends over for dinner, and the girls are inviting some friends over on Saturday to do crafts and have dinner.  It should be a fun week.

No comments: