We have had a pretty busy week this week. On Tuesday we had the opportunity to celebrate the life of a member of our community. It was someone who I always admired and it was wonderful to go to her funeral and to hear more about her life. I hope that I can be more like her.
On Wednesday Lindsey lost another tooth. My poor girl has such crowded teeth. She lost one of her front teeth. A few weeks ago she lost the tooth next to it, but only one tooth is coming in, her front one. I worry that we are going to have to see a specialist in order for all of her teeth to even come in. Also on Wednesday, I went visiting teaching. I took Michael and Rachel with me and they played with my partners kids, and our friend's little girl. Well, we were going to give the kids cookies so I went to get Rachel. She was in the bathroom and I could see her messy panties on the floor. I was so embarrassed. She had an accident and decided to take care of it herself by taking off her own underwear. Unfortunately that didn't really take care of it. I got some clorox wipes from our friend, a bag to put Rachel's messy things in, and a diaper from my partner. I also got to help clean my friend's bathroom. Seriously, I was mortified!
Thursday was one of those days where they say "if you don't like the weather, wait an hour". We had sunshine, snow, and fog. We also had piano lessons. When we pulled up to their teacher's house, the girls realized that they had left their books at home, so we had to go back and get them and their lessons started late. Then, Taylor had activity days. We had cub scout pack meeting in the evening, so it was busy all day it seemed like.
Rachel decided on Friday to take care of herself again. I was reading a story to all of the kids down in our family room when Rachel disappeared. I didn't think much of it until I was done and went into the kitchen. There were her panties laying on the floor, messy. I found her crouched down by the sink smearing dish soap on her bum. I put her straight into a bath to get cleaned up while I took care of her panties. Unfortunately the dog got them first so they ended up going in the trash. I was so ready for a nap right then. Luckily, the night ended really well. Our stake had a Relief Society program in Carey. It was so good. One of the messages I got was to draw closer to the Lord and He will help take care of me. The spirit and the feeling of love in that room was so strong.
Saturday was another busy day with Bountiful Baskets in the morning. It was my turn to run it. Then, we had to run some errands right after we were done. As soon as we got back to Richfield we went to a surprise 50th anniversary party. Then, we took the chihuahuas back to their home. My kids were so sad to see them leave and when the owners offered us one of the puppies they got their hopes up until their daddy said no. It was a lot of fun having them and I'm glad we could do it. Robert had an appointment to do a viewpoint for insurance. It was a really good meeting for him. He learned quite a bit, they asked some really good questions, and he has to look up more answers when he gets back to the office Monday. When he got home from his appointment he and a friend traded vehicles. We are now the owners of a Pontiac Sunfire. His truck used too much gas for him to drive around to appointments and I needed the van. The clutch went out on our other little car, so he traded his truck for a friend's car. Then, we went out and played games with some neighbors. We have some new neighbors and it was fun getting to know them better.
On Sunday I was released from being the Primary pianist. They actually released me last week and sustained the new pianist, they just didn't make it known in Sacrament Meeting. I'm going to miss playing the piano, but I have a strong feeling that for now it's time for me to let someone else have the opportunity. I don't have another calling yet, I am still a cub scout leader, though. Sunday evening, Robert went to a Stake Priesthood meeting in Carey and while he was gone, Taylor got a migraine so bad that she got sick. I really don't like seeing my kids sick. She was in so much pain. I gave her some pain reliever and she took a nap. That helped. I was also suffering from a headache so I wasn't all there either. It was not a good day for some of the heads in our house. On a more positive note, the other kids were fairly well behaved so I was able to take it easy with my headache.
So here's a question for you. What do you do when one of your children suddenly becomes afraid of just about everything? I mean, they are afraid of the dark, they are afraid to go into a room by themselves, a room they just came out of. Pretty much they are afraid of being alone at any time. What do you do?
2 comments:
We had to stop watching Scooby Doo for awhile! Caleb kept getting the "creeps" everytime he went downstairs. We tried not to make a big deal about it and had someone go with him all the time, and he's doing much better. But I remember being scared of our basement, it is kind of scary down there huh! I don't know what to say except hopefully she'll out grow it soon? We did have Caleb say prayers when he got scared. Good luck!
I try to acknowledge their fear while still being skeptical. Like "I know the room is dark, but you can turn the light on and see everything." I may be a mean mom but I try not to get up and give into the fear. I will let a sibling go with them but I won't get up and go check it out...because then it just validates that there might be something scary there. If I'm not concerned, then hopefully it rubs off onto them.
I also completely agree with DeeAnna about praying. Mostly at bedtime we'd say in their prayers "please let Luke not feel scared anymore."
I sound really mean in this but it worked for us...and there is a bit of a phase that all kids go through so you might have to keep at it for a while.
Now do you have any ideas for how to get your kids to play? I mean go play...not stand right next to me and pretend to be a baby or play right at my feet but actually go to their rooms or the toy room and play a game together? Just wondering. That's my current problem with Luke and Anna.
Post a Comment