Saturday, June 4, 2011

Memorial Day

When my dad was younger his Mom would take them to visit the graves of deceased family members.  It is something my dad feels strongly about and a tradition he wants to pass on.  So, on Memorial Day we gather at my parents house for a yummy breakfast before loading up and heading out to the cemetery.  The first one we went to this year was the Paul Cemetery.  I have many family members there, but the ones that we primarily visit are my Grandma and Grandpa Harmon and my Uncle Terry.

P4300233  P4300235

Grandpa fought in WWII and every year the American Legion places flags at the gravesides of veterans.  Usually my dad makes sure to bring a bucket of water, a knife and a brush with him.  Quite often the grass has started to grow over the headstone, so he will cut it away and wash the stone off.  We have had such a cold spring, though, that the grass hadn’t grown over the stone very much.

After going to Paul we then went to the Hazelton Cemetery.  My Great-Grandparent’s are buried there.  I somehow didn’t get any pictures there, though.

On our way to the park afterwards I got to talk to the kids about Memorial Day and why we have it.  I talked about how important it is to remember the people in the armed forces who serve and protect our country.  I talked about our ancestors and the things they did to help us to be where we are.  I talked about some of the things we can learn from our ancestors, and then that night I read some family history stories to them.  It was a cold and windy day, but it was a good day because I got to talk with my kids about something important and they listened.  I hope that they felt the message of what I was trying to tell them.

I am so grateful for all of the men and women who serve in the armed forces.  I am grateful for all that they do to protect this wonderful country we live in.  I have many family members who have served and who are still active in the military.  Thank you to all of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.. I just happened across your blog.. It's very nice, I'll be back :)