Monday was the only day the kids had school this week. They got up, went to school, came home, and then that evening it started snowing and blowing. Robert got a call at about 2 in the morning on Tuesday, to come up and plow snow, so off he went. We had school canceled, which I thought was kind of nice. I don’t think I would have sent the kids anyway, it was so cold and blowing. So we worked around the house, re-arranged the family room and the kids went through some of their toys to donate to Deseret Industries. They had a lot of fun playing with blocks and had to take pictures of their buildings. That evening Robert and the older kids went to a neighbor’s house to take care of
the turkeys. You know you’re a redneck if a few days before Thanksgiving your turkey had a name….
Wednesday was my birthday and so Robert and I spent the day in Twin while the kids went and stayed at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Aunt Nicki was up and they got to play with her too. We were a little worried about the roads because some family was supposed to be coming up to Idaho from Utah and some Idaho family was supposed to be flying out of Utah, but everyone traveled safely and made it to their destinations.
Thursday found us at around the corner at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. What a feast was prepared for all of us! We had appetizers, a veggie tray, cheese and crackers, dips and some fresh pineapple. Then for dinner we had 2 turkey’s, one roasted and one smoked, mashed potatoes, dressing, shrimp or fruit cocktail and of course pies for dessert. Lots and lots of pies. We brought a pumpkin pie and a strawberry banana cheesecake. There were also apple pies, a grasshopper pie, a cookie pie, baked cheesecake with fruit topping and many others that I can’t remember. Then we all took a nap. So, a funny story about the turkey. Robert had been reading in a cooking magazine about smoking a turkey, and he really wanted to try it. So, we got a roasting pan and wood chips to smoke the turkey and he got it all set up on the grill outside. The magazine said it was supposed to take 2-2:30 hours, but I guess they didn’t account for the weather outside the grill only being about 3 degrees. It was taking a little longer, but everything was okay at 2 1/2 hours, but at 2 hours 40 minutes, the bottom went out of the aluminum roasting pan holding the wood chips, they fell into the flames, created more flames, and
charred the turkey. Luckily Robert caught it quickly and only the very outside was black. Once you cut that off, it was the most flavorful, moist turkey I’ve ever had. It is definitely worth doing again.
Friday found Robert, his dad, brother-in-law, and 2 of his sisters in the mountains looking for Christmas trees. I went with Robert’s mom and sister to Twin to meet up with the rest of his family. We did stop at Jo-Ann’s for some flannel. That was an interesting experience. They still had some flannel and while DeeAnna waited in line, we took the kids and played follow the leader around the store, then we gathered in a wide aisle and I sang a bunch of songs with the kids. I think we sang “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes” about 10 times. Then, we went to my brother-in-laws house where the cousins all got to play together and we had some dinner. Robert met up with us there. Our tree is a really nice looking one that is currently leaning against the house. We need to make room for it in the house, and then shake the snow off of it. The kids are excited to break out the Christmas decorations, and I am too.
Saturday it snowed a little more and then even more on Sunday. Our world is white now. It is very pretty, but also very cold. Most mornings the temperature is in the negatives. I am so glad our house is warm and we have a fireplace and firewood. Nothing quite like cuddling up in front of a warm fire. I now have a new shawl to help keep me warm, too. I’ve been working on it for about 2 months now and I finally finished it. It isn’t as long as I would have liked, but it fits around me and it is warm. I love it!
Sunday brought a bunch of changes at church. We got a new Primary Presidency, new counselors in Relief Society, and I was put in as the Primary pianist. I love the piano, but I’ve never really practiced and I’m not very good, but I will get there. I did play on Sunday and I did a lot of just playing the top hand. The kids are kind and they don’t really mind that I can’t play well. The chorister is a wonderful lady who is also a great pianist and she is helping me. I’ve always wanted to play better and now I will be more motivated to practice. I can see this as a real blessing to me and my family, but for right now I feel very inadequate. It will come, though, with lots of practice!
1 comment:
What a great memory with the turkey!! Glad it still turned out good!!
Post a Comment