Tuesday, August 16, 2016

My Garden

Every year I have good intentions for a garden, but not every year do they end up coming to pass. This year seems very promising so far.
It's not the prettiest picture, but there is stuff growing, and not all of it is weeds! My tomato plants are huge and beautiful and have quite a few green tomatoes on them. My swiss chard has also done really well this year. We've managed to get a couple of onions to grow, too. I harvested radishes and peas already. The bean plants are looking pretty good too. My pepper plants are small, but they have been producing fruit. We got a bit of a late start and the sheep did get into the garden once in the beginning but most things managed to come back pretty good. I did lose my lettuce and brussel sprouts, though. I'm also using carpet this year for weed control. I really like it! I have more carpet scraps that I need to cut and place in the garden, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Something else that I am super proud of this year is my compost pile. Yeah, maybe that seems like a silly thing to be proud of, but I am. About once a week I will turn it by shoveling from one side to the other. I throw in weeds from the garden, grass clippings, stuff from the sheep and chickens, and veggie scraps from the kitchen. It is amazing to me to see how much it has broken down each week. At the beginning of the summer I had enough compost that I was able to fill up a couple of my garden boxes. My goal is to have enough that next year I can add some to all the boxes again. If I can make it myself then there is no reason that I will need to buy it from someone else. I can use my money instead for more seeds and plants to put in the garden. Or for tacos, those are good, too.

The biggest thing that I am still working on for this year is a fence around my garden. I've started it and it is looking really cool, but you will have to wait until it is finished before I blog about it.

No comments: